Happy Valentine's Day! Did you know that on Valentine's Day, fresh organic flowers are the number one purchased item? Hopefully you'll be coming home from work to a beautiful floral bouquet for your loved one, or perhaps you'll be bringing a bouquet home to someone special! However you celebrate this love and flower-filled holiday, all of us at GreenShield Organic hope you have a fun, loving and relaxing Valentine's Day evening. And we felt it only appropriate to blog about organic flowers today, as everyone deserves a little floral bouquet on Valentine's Day.
Don't you wish there was a way to keep your organic flowers fresher, longer? Below we've compiled a list of organic tips on great ways to keep your bouquet looking like it did on day one, day after day. This way he can say "Happy Valentine's Day" all week long...
1. When you receive fresh organic flowers, do not cut them with scissors so that they fit into your vase, as this may accidentally crush the flower's stem. Instead, use a knife and cut them on a slant. This allows for the flowers to absorb your water.
2. Prepare your vase by rinsing it with hot soapy water.
3. Once dry, fill your vase one-third of the way with luke-warm water instead of cold. Pull off any leaves or foliage that will be submerged in water and immediately place your flowers into the vase.
4. Keep your flowers away from the direct sunlight, and away from any ripening fruits or vegetables.
5. Replace the water in your vase every other day and trim the stems one-quarter inch to keep your flowers fresh and nourished.
6. A squeeze of lemon juice or vinegar will help keep your flowers fresh longer.
Follow the above steps and you should have beautiful blooming, fresh, organic flowers all week long!