Lemons are a delicious, refreshing addition to any kitchen. There’s a reason that so many kitchen cleaners (including ours!) use lemon scent, and that's because lemon smells so clean and bright. But lemons are good for more than just their scent. They’re also an incredibly versatile household tool. So don’t throw away that lemon when you think you’re done with it! Check out these other uses for that bright yellow fruit!
- Use lemon to rid your home of pests. Apparently ants, fleas, and roaches don’t like the scent of lemon, so placing small pieces of lemon peel at entry points (thresholds, windowsills, cracks and holes) will keep those pesky critters out of your home.
- Clean up that stinky, germy garbage disposal with those leftover peels. Drop a few peels down into the disposal, run the hot water, and turn it on. Your kitchen will smell divine, and your disposal will be fresh and clean!
- Polish your stainless steel, chrome, and copper with a fresh lemon peel. Sprinkle a touch of kosher salt on the metal and use the lemon peel to clean up the stains and grime. Rinse, buff, and you’re good to go!
- Use a cleaned slice of lemon peel in your brown sugar to keep it soft and moist and ready for baking! Just make sure that any pulp and pith (the bitter white stuff) is removed.
- You know those nasty deposits that build up in your tea kettle and coffee pot? Use lemon peels to clean them up. Place lemon peels, kosher salt, and ice in your coffee pot and give it a good swirl. After a minute, your pot will be clear and sparkly again. As for your tea kettle, bring some fresh peels to a boil and cut off the heat. After letting it rest for an hour, rinse and you're ready to brew a new cuppa tea.
The added bonus of cleaning your tea kettle with lemon? Your whole house will smell wonderful. And, if you’re feeling adventurous, add some cloves, cinnamon, and orange peels to the mix, especially in winter. The scent of holiday will fill your home!
How do you use lemon to clean your home? Tell us in the comments!Thanks to Thank Your Body for the great tips!