Once a woman lets her friends and relatives know she is expecting, she is bombarded with advice. From name suggestions to preferred parenting techniques, everyone seems to be more than willing to put in their two cents. But once the little bundle of joy comes there are several surprises that no one ever talks about.
1. You are going to feel lonely. So many parents are unprepared for the loneliness that comes with parenting. The day-to-day of taking care of an infant can be pretty monotonous, isolating and going out with your friends for a night out is no longer on the agenda. And even if you could get out every once in a while, who has the energy?
2. You will be invited to more Facebook Mommy Groups than you can shake a stick at. Seriously, is anyone prepared for the Mommy groups? There are groups for your region, religion, disability and shoe size. Attachment Moms, Sleep Training Moms, Cloth Diapering Moms, Crunchy-Granola Moms – the list could go on and on. A lot of these groups can be overwhelming, annoying and judge-y, but once you find your village, that group can be a lifeline, especially for a mom who can’t remember the last time she left the house… or showered.
3. You’ll get more done in an hour than most do in a day. Well, not at first. At first you’ll be left wondering how a whole 24 hours had passed and you hadn’t brushed your teeth, much less made the bed. But give it some time, and soon you’ll be the master of git ‘er dun. Have a short deadline? Ask a mom for help.
4. Buying your kid something will make you way happier than buying yourself something. See those clothes in your closet? Get ready to wear them until they are worn out. Buying tiny clothes and toys for a tiny person is so much more fun and satisfying than padding your own wardrobe. But don’t get carried away. Your little one will grow out of those little clothes and toys sooner than you think!
5. Something you love will get ruined. Heirlooms and souvenirs that you absolutely can’t live without? Box them up and put them in the attic. The moment children can figure out how to destroy things, they do. It’s just stuff anyway, right? For messy destruction, make sure to keep some Greenshield Organic cleaning supplies nearby.
6. You won’t be able to watch movies that portray children in danger. Hey, you wanna watch Taken? NOPE!
7. You will laugh more than you ever have. While the journey into parenthood is a wild odyssey that will change how you live and view your environment, it is also one of life’s greatest joys. Children are innately silly and like to have fun, so loosen up a bit and laugh along with them. You’ll be making memories to last a lifetime.
What was the biggest surprise when you became a parent? Let us know in the comments!