Friday is Earth Day! Every April 22nd 192 countries set aside time to honor the planet where we live and commit to making it a better place for us and for all its inhabitants. While law makers are set with the task of making big decisions for nations and businesses, this is also a time for individuals to commit to making greener decisions in their everyday lives that over time can make a big difference. Keeping Earth Day resolutions doesn’t have to be difficult though. In fact, there are several things you can commit to doing right now that might make your life easier and save you money.
1. Support local farmers. Buying local produce and groceries does your body and the planet good! Produce bought from a local farmer’s market is fresher and dense in nutrients. Local produce will only include fruits and vegetables during their growing season, so your body will get the maximum benefit at the right time. Also, because the groceries are local, a minimal amount of oil had to be burned to bring it to your table.
2. Stop junk mail. Be honest. You don’t really want all that extra paper lying around your house anyway. Save a tree. Sign up for electronic billing.
3. Do full loads of laundry. Washers and dryers can take a lot of energy, and 90% of that is from heating the water. When you make sure all the loads you wash are full, you can maximize this energy as well as save money along the way.
4. Slow down. Are you a speed demon on the road? Stop it! When you go the speed limit, not only are you are at less risk of getting a ticket, you can also save gas, which saves money and the planet.
5. Brew USDA Certified Organic coffee. The seal certifies that your coffee was grown using sustainable standards.
6. Recycle electronics. You know that smartphone you can’t live without? Well, in a year or two, it will soon be outdated, and you’ll be pining for something new. When electronics like these are thrown away, they can become toxic to the environment. There are many companies out there who can safely recycle your electronics, and some will even pay you to do it!
7. Plant trees strategically. Plant your trees on the south and west-facing sides of your house which get the most sun as well as in a place to shade your A/C unit. This will keep your house cooler in the summer months, and you’ll save money on your energy bill.
8. Let your grass grow longer. Most grass species grow better when they are kept at least 2.5 inches tall. At this length there is more surface area to absorb sunlight, and you will not have to water as often.
9. Use USDA Organic Certified cleaning products. Greenshield Organic Products is proud to display the USDA Organic Certified seal, which means that our products are held to the highest standard of containing organic ingredients. Continuing our commitment to green living, we also make our bottles from sugar cane, a renewable source that absorbs (instead of creates) carbon dioxide.
What green-living resolutions are you going to make in honor of Earth Day? Let us know!