Here at Greenshield Organic, cleaning is at the center of what we do. We are always brainstorming ways to make our products as effective and earth-friendly as possible, not to mention safe. While we are proud of our products and always excited to try new ones out in our homes, mustering up the motivation for regular and spring cleaning can be a challenge. We’ve assembled a list of the simplest and most effective life-hacks to get your clean on!
1. Invite people over. We’re not talking about throwing a huge party that will inevitably create a bigger cleaning job for you in the future, but a small get together for coffee will definitely give you a deadline for picking those dirty clothes up off the floor.
2. Put on your shoes. If you want to turn on the psychological switch that takes you from lazing about on the couch to crossing off your to-do list, the answer may lie in your feet. Just putting on your shoes will give you that bounce in your step to keep you going from task to task.
3. Open up your blinds and curtains. The extra light will add a freshness to your house while simultaneously revealing the dust and clutter hiding in the corners.
4. Make your bed. “But why should I make my bed if no one will see it and I’m just going to mess it up again tonight?” I’m sure you’ve heard, or even said this phrase before. Making your bed can instantly make your room and your life feel more put together. It’s a small luxury you can do for yourself, and it only takes five minutes.
5. Set a timer. Setting aside an entire day to clean your house is a recipe for failure, but setting aside 15 minutes to fold the clean laundry is totally doable. When you race against the timer, you learn that basic tasks take a lot less time than you give them credit for, and when you beat the clock you get to revel in the small triumph. Victory dance anyone?
6. Try a new cleaning product. Better yet, try a Greenshield Organic cleaning product you haven’t used yet. Have your house put us to the test, and let us know the results!
7. Turn off the TV; crank up the music. The problem with TV is it requires your eyes – not so convenient when you are moving about from room to room. Instead, record your favorite shows for later, and tune in to your favorite radio station or playlist. The beat will keep you moving!
8. Clean one room at a time. Commit to making one room spotless, then move to the next. Breaking up your work load in smaller, manageable chunks will make spring cleaning feel less overwhelming.
9. Reward yourself. Kids are promised rewards all the time. “If you eat all your peas, you can have dessert.” Whether or not this is an effective parenting strategy, the same reward motivation works for adults too. Promise to reward yourself with your favorite latte if you achieve everything on your to-do list.
Getting started on your spring cleaning is much more difficult than the cleaning itself. Do you have any tips or tricks that motivate you to clean? Tell us about them!